Click Here To PRINT
Designer Quick Tips with Kristy
The Incredible Christmas Place
Published: August 31, 2012
Add Glitter to Any Display
With a container of non-aerosol hair spray and your favorite glitter, you can add instant sparkle to almost any surface in any holiday display.
- Lightly spray the surface on which you want to add glitter with a non-aerosol hair spray (pump-action bottle of hair spray). We find that White Rain Extra Hold works the best.
- Add a generous sprinkling of your favorite glitter to cover the damp area.
- Tap off the excess glitter (tap it onto a clean piece of paper and you can put it back into your glitter container for reuse).
- The hair spray will hold the glitter to the surface of your object just like glue - but it dries more quickly.
- You can use this process to glue any small, light-weight medium to any fairly smooth surface. In addition to glitter, you might want to try mica chips, flocking medium, or snowflakes for additional texture in your display - glued to the base of street lamps, accessory pieces like the blocks of coal used here, Styrofoam bases, or building rooftops. Just remember that the hairspray will give a firm hold, so it's best to expect to leave the medium in place, once it has been applied.